Nigeria Launches the First National E-National ID Card in (Mobile Identity Card) Africa – After so many revisions, security audits, Privacy reviews and so on, it is finally here. The First National Rollout of a Mobile Identity ecosystem in Africa. “Where is my ID Card?” – It is here.
This Mobile ID is issued by the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) and the Federal Ministry of Communications & Digital Economy on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.
What do you need to Operate the NIMC Mobile Identity?
You require a National Identification Number (NIN) issued by the National Identity Management Commission or one of its accredited agents and a Mobile Number.
Benefit of NIMC Mobile App/Where can I use it?
- This NIMC Mobile ID is a valid means of identity anywhere within the Federal Republic of Nigeria, alongside the physical National ID Card, your Passport, Driver’s license and/or Voter’s ID Card.
- Link your Mobile Numbers (MTN, GLO, AIRTEL, 9MOBILE) to your NIN – securely
- In this official release, you may add up to 6 extra Mobile Numbers to comply with the requirements of the NCC to link your Mobile numbers to your NIN.
- Do it securely and safely from the comfort of your home.
The NIMC will handle the rest for you.
WARNING – If you are refused service anywhere you present this ID, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and the relevant department will take appropriate action
How to Download the NIMC Mobile App (NIN App)
How to Use the NIMC Mobile App
Once you login to the NIN mobile app
Look for “My Devices” on the main dashboard and enter the Mobile Numbers, one after the other.
- If you carry out this exercise before the 31st January 2021, the verification OTP will be delivered FREE. After that date, the Telco will be responsible for determining any SMS charges.
- The only warning is that anywhere it is presented, your ID MUST be verified on the spot.
- PLEASE DO NOT permit anyone to make a photocopy of your MobileID or to put it in a scanner.
- If they wish to have a copy for their records, they should use their own copy of the NIMC MobileID (means they have a NIN too), to scan the QR Code on the ID page.
They can then log into the portal which will be available at https://myportal.nimc.gov.ng and print out the verification sheet.
Your ID is YOURS – you therefore reserve the right to know who verified your identity and when.
That cannot be done if a copy is made. Protect your Identity!!!